GnuCash runs under Windows, Mac OS X, and many flavors of Linux/Unix. Installation is generally quite easy; instructions specific to different supported operating systems are given below.
If you need to use a version of GnuCash more up to date than the version available from your operating system or distribution's repositories and software sources, you can build GnuCash from source code. Links to instructions for building from the sources are provided on the appropriate OS/distribution installation pages. If specific instructions are not yet available for your system, you may consider adapting available instructions from a similar OS/distribution.
You can check distrowatch.com for distributions which include
- the recent,
- an almost recent or also
- older versions of GnuCash.
Notes on specific distributions:
- RedHat: FC5, RHEL4, CentOS4.3, RHEL5 / SL5.
- Ubuntu (and derivatives)
Distribution agnostic versions of GnuCash can now be installed from:
- flathub Since GnuCash 2.6.18
- Microsoft Windows: GnuCash runs on Windows.
Download the binary installer package from sourceforge.net.
Mac OS X
- GnuCash runs on Mac OS X. Download the binary package from sourceforge.net.
- For compiling GnuCash on Mac OS X, see MacOSXInstallation and specific MacOSX/Quartz tips