<to be moved from Windows#Finance::Quote etc.>
You need to install several Perl modules in order to get online quotes. While the error message may be about Finance::Quote not being installed properly, that module alone is not sufficient.
- You can check the version and the list of available modules by running
from the command line.
- If F::Q is missing or outdated, you need to install or update it. In general it can be done with
perl -MCPAN -e shell install Finance::Quote
But there are easier ways dependend of your operating system:
- FAQ#Q: How do I install Finance::Quote on a Mac?
- FAQ#Q: How do I fix a system error when getting stock quotes?
- If there is no recent perl-finance-quote offered by your package manager do the following:
- As root (su / sudo) run GnuCashs script
- It will install Finance::Quote and its dependencies.
- In the first line adjust the path to your perl executable.
- A discussion of how to set it up (in Ubuntu) can be found at .
That script, as of 2.4.0, uses CPAN to install:
Then read the instructions.
Warning About Open Files
Updating quotes will modify the GNUCash file/database. As multi-user access is not supported (as of 2.4), the file/database should be closed prior to updating quotes.
cron and Non-X Usage
If you attempt to run
gnucash --add-price-quotes /path/to/file.gnucash
without dbus running (for example, from a cron job or ssh without X forwarding), you may get errors such as
GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; the most common cause is a missing or misconfigured D-Bus session bus daemon. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Not running within active session)
One resolution for this, courtesy of SyncEvolution - The Missing Link, is to launch dbus for the duration of the quote retrieval with a cron command similar to
env `dbus-launch` sh -c 'trap "kill $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_PID" EXIT; gnucash --add-price-quotes /path/to/file.gnucash'
Note: This has been documented in Bug #639776
Where the files are stored depends on your OS/Distro:
- Linux depends on the way it was installed:
- by package manager: /usr/share/perl5/[vendor/]Finance/Quote
- by CPAN or gnc-fq-update: /usr/share/perl5/site/Finance/Quote
- self compiled: /usr/local/share/perl/5.xx.x/Finance/Quote
- Windows: C:\Perl\site\lib\Finance\Quote