User talk:Jim DeLaHunt
This is a place to have conversations. Please put each topic under a different heading.
Hi Jim, Thanks for contributing to GnuCash's wiki. My name is David T., and I've put in a bit of time on the documentation over the years. I appreciate the information about the change in CTRL-Click behavior (as a longtime Mac user).
I was wondering whether your would object to a re-wording of the question? I think it would be stylistically better to say:
"Q: How can I get context menus on MacOS?"
The issue here after all is accessing context menus--not using the non-existent right button. Changing the question in the above way makes it clearer, in my opinion.
Also, the current official designation for Apple's OS is "MacOS."
Next, I'd recommend a few changes to the body. You have:
"A: Use two-finger click on an Apple trackpad. MacOS interprets this as a right-click, and GnuCash displays a context menu. The normal control-click convention does not gives a right-click on Mac OS systems, as of GnuCash 3.5. It gives a normal click instead. (This is a limitation of GTK3, described in bug 797286.)"
I would go with a different approach (again to emphasize the change between versions):
"A: In GnuCash versions prior to 3.0, users can access context menus by using Control-click.
To access context menus in GnuCash versions 3.0 and higher, use a two-finger click on the trackpad.
The result would be:
- A: In GnuCash versions prior to 3.0, users can access context menus by using Control-click.
- To access context menus in GnuCash versions 3.0 and higher, use a two-finger click on the trackpad.
- With version 3.0, GnuCash changed to use GTK3, which interprets Control-click as a normal click. This is a limitation of GTK3, as described in 797286.
If you agree, I can make the change, or you could do it yourself. Just let me know. Cheers!
--the above comment posted 10:37, 24 June 2019 by User:Sunfish62
- DavidT aka Sunfish62, thank you for your comments and thank you for all your work improving the wiki.
- This is a wiki, so please go ahead and make improvements as you see fit. Others will also, and I will too. I think there are really two issues to clarify: that one gets context menus in GnuCash 3.x on macOS by means of double-tap, and that GnuCash 3 does not interpret control-click as right-click as one might expect. Both issues matter. The documentation mentions "control-click on macOS", so it's reasonable to expect that people might try control-click on GnuCash 3.x on macOS, observe it fail, and look for an explanation of why.
- Also, I think the Wiki's content on macOS topics has a haphazard structure still, despite your recent improvements to it. It might be that these notes about context menus and about control-click don't really belong on the FAQ page, they should be on the MacOS page instead. Also also, I think the official name for Apple's OS starts with a lowercase letter, as in macOS Mojave. "MacOS" is wrong, strictly speaking, but Wikimedia rules that article links start with a capital letter will make it hard to spell correctly everywhere. There are still many references to "Mac OS X" throughout the Wiki. Those are correct if referring to old versions, but wrong if referring to current versions. So, I expect that if we work on these bigger issues, we will have plenty of chances to fix the details.
- Jim DeLaHunt (talk) 21:56, 24 June 2019 (UTC)